I celebrated my birthday with my family and childhood friends somewhere in Batangas; It was great; I was happy that after so many years; we got reunited with our childhood friends after almost 8 years since we left our house in the subdivision we grew up because my grandparents coerced us to vacate the house.
What do I feel right now? Mixed emotions. I don’t understand why; it feels like I’m excited because there are still 3 years ahead before I will turn 30, somehow sad because I haven’t reached my tipping point yet and I’m still confused about what I’m gonna do for the rest of my life. As many as the plans, I have, only God knows the outcome.
In our lives, it is inevitable to don’t have frustrations in life. There are things you wish you knew so we can avoid that mistakes. Mistakes are unavoidable, sometimes we create it but sometimes it is God-ordained so that God’s glory will be revealed in us.
So here are the 27 things I wish I knew before I turned 27:
1. Eat rejection for breakfast.
I fear rejection. I’ve been turned down a lot of times in a job application because I can’t speak English, been turned down for a promotion, what hurts the most is when someone rejected the love and care you are offering.
I learned the hard way of dealing with rejection. I wish someone had told me before that it is okay to eat rejection for breakfast sometimes.
2. Train your heart to be tough.
While the world teaches us to think, I don’t think it will prepare our hearts to be tough.
Only pain and perseverance can make a heart strong.
Train your heart for every criticism you get.
Train your heart to receive a no.
Train your heart to fight when it seems you lose.
Because you’ll appreciate that life is worth it when you take risks.
3. Respond, don’t react.
Listen and process what the other person is saying.
Respond in a positive way.
Reacting to a situation will only worsen the problem.
4. Have a plan A-Z.
Some plans will not work out, so better be prepared than left with no options. Carpe diem!
5. Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
6. Whatever you want in life is on the other side of fear.
7. Sometimes it is good to question what we believe. Don’t believe what just others will say.
8. Be surrounded with the people who you want to become.
9. God is sovereign. I believe in Total Depravity; apart from God, we can do nothing.
10. True love articulates in deeds of sacrifices.
11. Always give others benefit of the doubt.
12. Being afraid to speak out is like being afraid to be rejected because you think your idea might not good as what others might have.
13. To live is not to marry. To live is not to raise children. To live is not to find “the one.” To live is Jesus Christ.
14. Don’t stress the small things.
“If God can take care of something as big as our sin, everything else is a piece of cake.” — Jarrid Wilson
15. “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” - John Quincy Adams
16. “Leadership is serving.” — Steve Murell
17. Nothing in this world that’s worth having comes easy.
18. Stop comparing yourself to others. You have your own battles. You have your own journey. If you only focus on developing yourself, you are already one step ahead for those who never does.
19. If it’s worth it, it’s worth the risk.
20. Don’t burn bridges. You’ll never know what tomorrow will bring.
21. God never demands anything that Je does not provide for. Whatever God commands us to do, He equips us to do. — Myles Munroe
22. We were meant to live for so much more.
23. Your purpose must be bigger than yourself.
24. Doing a work that you don’t like at all is dehumanizing.
25. Don’t work 8 hours for a company then go home and not work on your own goals. You’re not tired, you’re uninspired.
26. Maturity happens when we discourage childish habits.
27. Oh, I think this is the last one, but it’s just the beginning. Entering late 20’s, feels like a bit of thrill and I just wanted to go back in my early 20’s.
Well, age is just a number as they say. I am excited with what’s ahead, will I get married after 3 years?, will I change career? I don’t know as only God knows. Nevertheless, I have to focus on the present first.
Sign up now for our newsletter and get your FREE eBook and updates delivered to your inbox each month!